Join our TeamCity & Country and You
City & Country and You
Are you looking for a role in Planning, Surveying, Sales, Design, Architecture or Construction. Or are you interested in joining our specialist Consultants and Supply Chain? Find out about City & Country and You.
Winner of 2015 WhatHouse? Award for Best Renovation
The General, located in BS1 a short walk from Bristol City Centre and Temple Meads Station, offers both stylish converted character homes in the original listed buildings and contemporary newly built apartments in 'The Iron Foundry' with light, modern interiors. Many of the apartments benefit from waterfacing or courtyard views, allocated parking and lift access. It is rare to find such a combination in new homes, but The General delivers on all counts.
The General offers a selection of individually designed luxury kitchens with a mixture of finishes to suit. The specification includes:
Images are from previous City & Country developments and are indicative of the specification at The General. Please ask for more details.
The General offers residents all the charm and striking character of a listed property coupled with light, modern interiors and cosmopolitan waterfront living. It is rare to find such a combination, but The General delivers on all counts.
Bristol General Hospital began life in 1832, housed in modest dwellings in Guinea Street between the Redcliffe and Bedminster Parishes. The new facilities were the initiative of a group of local Quakers who were appalled at the lack of health provision for the growing industrial poor of Bedminster and Redcliffe and in the early days only local residents were allowed access to treatment.
The early 1830s were a time of great social change in most English cities and Bristol was no exception. Political unrest erupted with the Bristol Riots of 1831 where residents demanded the right to vote and the big health issue of the day was the containment of the deadly cholera epidemics. Both these issues were to influence, indirectly, the growth of the General Hospital.
Bristol General Hospital first opened its doors on the site in 1858 making a grand statement with its Italianate stonework and French Renaissance rooftops. The new hospital cost £28,000, with much of the funding coming from local workers, who gave a penny a week towards building and running costs.
The original building began as two four-storey blocks joined by a central tower with one block facing Bathurst Basin and the other the New Cut. In 1873 the northern block was extended and in 1886 a new nurses’ home was wrapped around the corner to Guinea Street. The nurses’ home was subsequently extended again in 1907. These four phases largely represent the work of W.B Gingell, a local architect known for his elegant warehouses and churches, Henry Crisp, another local man, and his protégé, George Herbert Oatley, Bristol’s most renowned architect and Knight. From 1915 Oatley built the Chapel and King Edward VII Wing, a tour de force in reinforced concrete.
During WWII the Hospital suffered severe bomb damage which all but destroyed the mansard roof and the structure over the octagonal tower in the south west corner of the building. The roof and top floor including that of the octagonal tower was subsequently removed and the building re-roofed with a flat roof. The 1916-1919 metal balconies were also removed owing to bomb damage.
Following the addition of a nurses’ accommodation block to the east of the site in 1925, the final expansion took place in 1931 with the construction of the William Lloyd Unit on Commercial Road.
The remainder of the 20th century development of the site has been characterised by ad hoc accretions, infill and extensions which lacked any sense of vision or formal masterplan.
The Bristol General Hospital finally closed its doors in 2012 when the planned South Bristol Community Hospital opened and the services were transferred. City & Country acquired the site in June 2012.
The General is located in a bustling waterfront location on the edge of the famous Bristol Floating Harbour. It is ideally located a short walk from Bristol city centre, Temple Meads Train Station, the financial districts of Temple Quay and Temple Back, and the University of Bristol.
While the central part of the city still operates water routes for both leisure and commuters on the harbour, excellent road and rail links have enabled fast connections to all major UK cities. Bristol is also served by its own international airport location around eight miles from the city centre.
The General, on the south side of the River Avon, is in the heart of Redcliffe; an area with a growing reputation and vast regeneration plans which in the next five years will see it undertake a rapid diversification.
With a thriving restaurant and café scene, Bristol is also home to numerous independent bars and pubs, which helps to support a lively night life scene.
Bristol’s city centre streets are lined with restaurants, clubs, bars, museums, galleries as well as the floating harbour. Well known for the world class shopping on offer from established high street brands at Cabot’s Circus, the city is home to an eclectic range of boutiques and individual shops.
Restoration of Bristol Landmark Moves Closer to Completion with Reinstatement of Mansard Roof
No.33 The General (BGH01-07)
The General, Bristol
With views across the Iron Foundry plaza, this spacious two...
Angel's Courtyard | A tranquil oasis on the High Street in Colchester