Overview of Gilston Park House, Hertfordshire
Gilston Park House is an outstanding Victorian Country House situated in an elevated position with views across the English countryside.
The building was originally constructed in 1852 in a Tudor style with Gothic touches, subsequently altered and extended in 1903, in recent years it had become the offices of a large pharmaceutical company. City & Country obtained permission for conversion into 7 houses and 7 apartments.
When work was nearing completion on the first apartment an electrical fault started a catastrophic fire on the evening of 12th January 2000 and approximately half of the second floor and the roof was lost. What began as a relatively straightforward conversion project became a massive renovation project. Specialist equipment was brought in and used to save and retain all of the important historic features. It took months of work with meticulous attention to detail to successfully reinstate not only the fire damaged second floor and roof but also the extensive water damaged beautifully carved wooden panelling and ceilings in the principal reception rooms and communal areas.
On completion it was as if the fire had never taken place, a great tribute to City & Country's skills in renovation and restoration projects and the project subsequently won the Gold Award for Best Renovation at The What House? Awards in 2001.
The judges commented:
"We were attracted, not just by the work of reinstating the building, but also by the inventive way that the space had been divided to create self-contained accommodation. The scheme has resulted in the restoration of many of the original features, together with the division of the building in an inventive and considerate manner."