St. Margaretsbury House was believed to have been built circa 1760 as a rectory mansion with latter alterations and addition by Ernest Newton in 1890. The house was noted for Newton's quality features, most of which still existed.
In 1943 the house was bought by the Hertfordshire County Council and remained in its ownership until 1993 when it was acquired by City & Country.
The main house and outbuildings were meticulously restored and converted into 5 new homes, three within the main house and two within the stables/outbuildings. The development was 'Winner of the East Hertfordshire Rural Design Award' in 1994.