Evening Standard - 06 May 2015
King Edward VII Estate is a converted 1901 hospital. Few properties set the heart racing as much as grand homes carved from architecturally prized colleges, convents and hospitals. When the setting is a 165-acre estate in the South Downs National Park, with gardens originally laid out by acclaimed horticulturist Gertrude Jekyll, the appeal is even greater.
King Edward VII Estate near Midhurst, West Sussex, was built in 1901 as a sanatorium for TB sufferers. Closed five years ago, the hospital has been rescued from dereliction by heritage developer City & Country, which has turned it into a splendid commuter belt address, with 162 homes in the refurbished original building and 247 new properties in the grounds. A restored Arts & Crafts chapel will be transformed into a community shop and café, while the original reading room and dining hall are being reinstated and four miles of woodland walks created. On-site guest suites will be available to rent by visitors.
« Back to What the Papers Say