T: 01279 817882
F: 01279 817883
Bentfield Place, Bentfield Road, Stansted, Essex, CM24 8HL
City & Country has created an exclusive selection of 1, 2 and 3 bedroom apartments, duplexes and villas within the historically significant 18th Century Mansion House and adjoining historic buildings at Bentley Priory. Each home benefits from a combination of period style, original features and elegant contemporary interiors.
City & Country have reinstated and restored the Grade II Registered Italian Gardens and the nineteenth century parterre to the south of The Mansion, which affords serene and far-reaching views across north London, with St Paul’s Cathedral visible in the distance.
An exclusive selection of 1, 2 and 3 bedroom apartments, duplexes and villas within the historically significant 18th Century Mansion for sale in Stanmore consisting of:
George Clarke visits the luxury apartments at Bentley Priory
Bentley Priory has a long and colourful history, from its monastic origins through to its use as a family home, its conversion into a hotel and then its eventual sale to the Air Ministry.
In the period running up to the writing of the Domesday Book, The Priory housed a cell of Augustinian Friars in buildings to the south of the present mansion. In 1546 The Priory’s religious days were over and Henry VIII gave the land to Robert Needham and William Sacheverell before it was ultimately sold in 1775 to James Duberley.
James Duberly an army contractor is thought to have pulled down the original Priory buildings before building a more imposing house on the site.
The Marquess of Abercorn
In 1788 the estate was sold to the Hon. James Hamilton the 9th Earl of Abercorn. On elevation to Marquess he set about enlarging the house and estate employing Sir John Soane, one of the most pre-eminent 18th Century architects, to extend and remodel the house in three phases. The Marqess was an influential figure and the Priory became a rendezvous for many political and literary visitors from William Pitt to Sir Walter Scott and the poet Wordsworth.
The Dowager Queen Adelaide 1848 - 1849
In 1848 the Dowager Queen Adelaide, widow of William IV leased the Priory and regularly received Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. Her legacy can be seen today in the Adelaide room with its beautifully painted moulded ceiling and fireplace, original to the house, with two ceramic side panels in the grate bearing Queen Adelaide’s monogram.
Sir John Kelk 1863 - 1882
The estate was bought in 1852 by Sir John Kelk, an eminent Victorian engineer. Kelk made some improvements to The Priory including a picture gallery, a library, the clock tower, an orangery and a Tuscan Portico to the south front, which survives today.
The Gordon Family 1882 - 1908
In 1882 the estate was sold to Fredrick Gordon, of Gordon Hotels, who converted Bentley Priory into a hotel. Gordon was so convinced of the hotel’s success that he had the railway line extended from Harrow to Stanmore. However, after opening in 1885, the hotel was not a financial success so the family moved into The Priory and lived there until 1908.
A Girls Boarding School 1908- 1924
The Priory changed hands in 1908 and functioned as a girl’s school until the financial depression of the 1920’s.
In 1926 the estate was split in to two lots and the house, along with 40 acres of the estate was sold to the Air Ministry. The remainder of the estate, about 240 acres, was sold to a syndicate who divided it into building plots with 90 acres being bought by Middlesex Country Council.
RAF Fighter Command moved to Bentley Priory in 1936 with its first Air Officer Commanding, Air Marshall Sir Hugh Dowding. Under RAF ownership many of the original buildings on the site were demolished and replaced by RAF facilities. Prior to the outbreak of World War II the Priory underwent many changes including the adaptation of the two largest rooms into The Operations Room and The Filter Room.
Bentley Priory remains most famous for its pivotal role as the Headquarters of Fighter Command during the Battle of Britain in 1940 one of the decisive battles of history. Had the battle been lost, the whole course of world history would have been changed.
The Bentley Priory Mansion House is set in 57 acres of beautiful parkland with formal gardens sitting just south of the Mansion House itself.
As part of the conversion process City & Country have reinstated and restored these Grade II Listed Italian gardens and nineteenth century parterre which afford serene and far-reaching views across north London, with St Paul’s Cathedral visible in the distance.
The gardens are designed as a traditional English garden with a mixture of plants and herbs carefully selected from the original plans which were discovered within the Mansion House.
Focal points including urns, statues and terraces have been included in the design of the grounds to create a classical effect, with a linear style which is pleasing to the eye. Semi-mature plants and trees have been laid out, along with a new area of grass lawns, flower beds and planting to create soft backdrops and relaxing spaces.
Set among 57 acres of beautiful parkland, the converted homes at Bentley Priory provide an exclusive oasis away from the crowds yet are still close to all the amenities of modern life. Located just a short walk from the cafes and restaurants of vibrant Stanmore High Street, and within 13 miles of Central London, Bentley Priory is ideally situated to offer everything you need when choosing your next home.
Hop on the Tube to Bond Street or Green Park for the gateway to great British institutions such as Claridge's, Fortnum & Mason and The Dorchester as well as designer shopping such as Chanel, Prada, Asprey and Louis Vuitton. London offers some of the world's best theatre, opera and ballet with the Royal Opera House and Covent Garden less than 12 miles away.
With Stanmore Underground Station providing a direct Jubilee Line service to Baker Street, Westminster and Canary Wharf, homes at Bentley Priory are also ideal for commuters who are looking for the chance to escape city life and want a grand apartment to come home to. The up-to-date interiors reflect modern city style and, situated within easy reach of London, residents can enjoy all the conveniences of an urban home in a beautiful leafy location.
With three high quality golf clubs within a 5 minute drive – including the bountiful 27 holes at Hartsbourne Golf and Country Club – you could be forgiven for thinking you lived in the country. Health Clubs nearby include: David Lloyd Bushey, LA Fitness Edgeware and Esporta Riverside Health & Racquets Club Northwood.
A little further afield is The Grove a luxury 5 star hotel resort with a Championship Golf Course, award-winning Sequois Spa and three restaurants.
Bentley Priory Nature Reserve, once part of the Bentley Priory grounds, is located adjacent to the development's boundary. Visitors can explore the deer park established in the 19th century, as well as open grassy areas and nature walks through the wooded areas teaming with wildlife. Nearby, Stanmore Common supports a thriving heathland area and a complex of wooded habitats whilst Stanmore Country Park, a large nature reserve is immediately north of Stanmore town centre.
Leading heritage restoration developer, City & Country, is delighted to announce the launch of the Marquess Villas
No. 10 Bentley Priory (DB4) Adelaide House
Bentley Priory, Stanmore
A distinctive two bedroom, two bathroom duplex apartment with...
King Edward VII Estate, Midhurst
King Edward VII Estate sits within the South Downs National Park (an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty) in West Sussex, 7 miles south of the small town of...