The apartments are part of a painstaking restoration of the former General Hospital, which closed in 2012.
The latest new homes at groundbreaking new development The General have now been launched – with prices starting at £250,000.
The New Yard offers 71 new homes, arranged in four building and with a central landscaped courtyard in the heart of The General. Mostly one and two bedroom apartments, there are also a small number of 3 bedroom apartments, duplexes and houses.
It’s a chance to live in one of the city’s historic landmarks while enjoying all the advantages a new build has to offer.
Each property is offered with a luxe fully inclusive specification – quality Ballerina kitchens with stone worktops feature appliances from Siemens, whilst bathrooms are sleek with marble tiling and contemporary chrome fittings.
Suzanne Aplin, Sales and Marketing Director at City & Country, developers of the site, said: “The New Yard offers house hunters the best of both worlds – the efficiency and ease of a new build home, combined with the benefits and historic appeal of The General.
“This Includes access to restored communal areas such as the attractive courtyard with its water fountain, while Lower Guinea Street is home to Casamia, Paco Tapas and Pi Shop, meaning there is a buzzing social scene right on your doorstep.”
One bedroom apartments, which start from £250,000, are expected to be some of the most popular across the development.
Suzanne added: “There has been great demand for one and two bedroom apartments at The General, as professionals seek a stylish city centre home. The New Yard will give buyers a perfect opportunity to get onto the housing ladder. We are encouraging interested parties to register for more information now so they are not disappointed.”
The contemporary new buildings have been designed to reflect the industrial past of the site, where historically a range of warehouses once stood.
Flour House and Sugar House comprise of 63 apartments in total, with some featuring private terraces or balconies. Meanwhile, Lawrence House and Gingell House (named after local architect W.B. Gingell who designed much of the original hospital) include a collection of just 8 three bedroom houses and duplexes, all featuring either a garden or private terrace.
History of The General.
Bristol General Hospital itself began life in 1832, housed in modest dwellings in Guinea Street between the Redcliffe and Bedminster Parishes. The new facilities were the initiative of a group of local Quakers who were appalled at the lack of health provision for the growing industrial poor of Bedminster and Redcliffe and in the early days only local residents were allowed access to treatment.
The early 1830s were a time of great social change in most English cities and Bristol was no exception. Political unrest erupted with the Bristol Riots of 1831 where residents demanded the right to vote, and the big health issue of the day was containment of the deadly cholera epidemics. Both these issues were to influence, indirectly, the growth of the General Hospital.
Bristol General Hospital first opened its doors on the site in 1858 making a grand statement with its Italianate stonework and French renaissance rooftops. The new hospital cost £28,000, with much of the funding coming from local workers, who gave a penny a week towards building and running costs.
The original building began as two four-storey blocks joined by a central tower with one block facing Bathurst Basin and the other the New Cut. In 1873 the northern block was extended and in 1886 a new nurses’ home was wrapped around the corner to Guinea Street.
The nurses’ home was subsequently extended again in 1907. These four phases largely represent the work of W.B. Gingell, a local architect known for his elegant warehouses and churches, Henry Crisp, another local man, and his protégé, George Herbert Oatley, Bristol’s most renowned architect and Knight.
From 1915 Oatley built the Chapel and Kind Edward VII Wing, a tour de force in reinforced concrete.
During WWII the Hospital suffered severe bomb damage which all but destroyed the mansard roof and the structure over the octagonal tower in the south west corner of the building. The roof and top floor including that of the octagonal tower was subsequently removed and the building re-roofed with a flat roof. The 1916-1919 metal balconies were also removed owing to bomb damage.
The remainder of the 20th century development of the site has been characterised by ad hoc accretions, infill and extensions which lacked any sense of vision or formal masterplan.
The Bristol General Hospital finally closed its doors in 2012 when the planned South Bristol Community Hospital opened and the services were transferred. City & Country acquired the site in June 2012.